Akdang Passionista

Sa walang hanggang katanungan, walang hanggan ang malalaman. Sa bawat tanong, mamimili ka, kung may bibitawan o may panghahawakan. Sa huli, sarili pa rin ang mamamayani.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

More than Rubies

“1, 2, 3, push! Push harder! 1, 2, 3, push! Push harder! There it is, there it is…”Aaaagh! If you would ask me what are the things I’m scared of, being in a situation where I will hear those words would definitely land on my list! Giving birth!All of a sudden, the room becomes so full of life because literally, a new life was born. But can anyone feel how much pain the mother of the child went through before you even hear the baby’s first cry? We all know that when a mother gives birth, there is no assurance that she will survive. It is unimaginably, undeniably, no-other-words-to-describe, scary! I don’t even want to imagine how a mother can give birth for fourteen times! Ouch!I really admire my mom for having only two beautiful children. She told me that she only had a hard time giving birth to the first one, my elder brother. As for me, one push and I’m out in the wild! I guess the scary and challenging part of being a mom does not end when she finally sends her child to the world. It’s just the beginning.I grew up with my mom longer than my brother growing up with her. He was with our grandmother during the time that our mother had to study while taking care of me. She was taking up Pharmacy that time. One hand holding her book and the other hand pushing my duyan for me to sleep. Can you imagine, students today put up a lame excuse of not being able to focus on their studies because of such and such, but my mom was a very multi-tasking woman, being a mother, wife and student all at the same time!After graduating from college, it was time for her to work. I remember how hard it was every time she leaves home to go to work. It’s either I was left to our neighbor’s care or I will pamper myself with the eye shadows, blushers and lipsticks my mom had in the closet. I used to break her lipsticks. After entertaining myself while waiting, I can hardly wait for her return. I get really excited when she finally comes. “Ma, pasalubong!” Don’t tell me you didn’t do that when you were still a kid! Of course, aside from the fact that mommy is finally within your reach, a pasalubong is also up for grabs!As I was growing up as a toddler, I can still remember that I was very insistent of always going out with my mom. Wherever she goes, I had to go! May I repeat it, I had to go! I had to go! You could imagine how persuasive I was as a child. So, if you see me now as knowing more than what my age should know, blame that on the days and nights when I was with my mom, listening to grown-ups talking about everyday life. Ask me mature issues even though I was very young and I definitely knew, if not all, something – at least that’s what I think.When the time came that my mom had to go abroad with my dad, I didn’t think during that moment that it will be of my advantage. I was thirteen years old that time. I was very sure that I was losing a part of me. No number of long distance calls or even amount of dollars could replace what I lost. I found myself lying on my bed and crying out “Mama, mama,” every time I got sick and Mama won’t be around to take care of me. I had to take care of myself. My mom was brave enough to sacrifice herself to give us a good future. I must carry on that strength she had.Since then, I lived everyday of my life with the courage I learned from my mom. I finished my studies with honors and made my parents very proud. If my mom was not strong enough to endure being away from us, I would not be writing for you right now.This fourth issue’s title “More than Rubies” was taken from Proverbs 31:10: “A wife of a noble character who can find? She is worth more than rubies.” Proverbs 31:10-31 not only talks about being a wife, but also being a mother. “Her children arise and calls her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. (verse 28)” Oh how we love our moms! This issue is especially dedicated to all mothers who have proven to be the Superwomen of this society! Read the next pages describing how incredible mothers are.Aside from the regular columns, we’ve set aside a special column for our beloved moms. Not only will you find a mother’s touch in one page, but from cover to cover you’ll surely miss your moms and call them to say ‘Thank you’ or ‘I love you”. Say it while you have a chance!So to all the moms out there, accept our dearest token of appreciation for all your hardwork and for serving as an inspiration to every individual. Indeed, “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all. (verse 29)”Happy Mothers’ Day! We love you! God bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home